So you’ve decided to take the plunge and switch up your hairstyle? This can be a great move if you want to completely change your look and give yourself a little confidence boost. It’s amazing how much of a difference a splash of colour and brand new appearance can make, but it’s well worth taking the time to decide on how to choose a new hairstyle.
There are a few factors to bear in mind when making this decision, as we all know that new haircuts don’t always go exactly as planned.
A Guide On How To Choose A New Hairstyle
While we’re sure your new hair will look amazing, there are a few things to consider before going for the chop, to ensure that you’ll love the finished result. Work your way through these tips and by the time you’ve finished; you’ll be ready to book into your favourite salon and start showing off your new hairstyle.
Consider Your Face Shape
One of the most important things you can do before deciding on a new hairstyle is to consider your face shape. It’s a fact that certain hairstyles look better and lend themselves to particular face shapes, so it’s definitely worth taking a minute to think about. We’ve listed some face shapes below, and the cuts and hairstyles that will compliment them the most. Take a look at this simple guide from allure to determine what your face shape is.
- Heart Shaped Face – This shape looks great with medium and long length hair. When thinking of ways to style it, think sweeping fringes and tousled curls to fully accentuate the shape.
- Oval Face – If you’re going for a short style, it’s best to opt for a blunt cut or strong lob. Medium and long hair also work with this face shape, while soft, vintage curls really finish the look.
- Round Face – If you’re set on having short hair, don’t do it by halves. A pixie cut will look super smart and will help in adding length to your face.
- Square Face – A fringe in some shape or form really suits this face shape, either sweeping across the cheekbones or incorporated in soft layers.
If you’re unsure on what your face shape is, pop into your local salon and have a chat with a professional stylist. At our hair salon in Milton Keynes, we love giving consultations to people who want a whole new look and help advise them on the best hairstyle for their face shape.
Sometimes it can be tough to visualise exactly what you’ll look like with a new hairstyle, particularly if you’re making a big change. Thankfully, advances in technology means that there are loads of apps out there, that will simulate what you’ll look like with a completely new hairstyle. Here are some of our favourites:
- Hairstyle Magic Mirror – This handy app allows you to experiment with a huge range of hairstyles, by taking a picture of yourself and applying the new do to your face.
- Hairstyle Makeover – Try on any new hairstyle virtually and match the best cut to your face using a simple interface.
- Hair Colour Booth – If you’re swaying towards colouring your hair, this is the app for you. Add digital coloured streaks or highlights to your current hairstyle and picture how it would look in real life.
- Hairstyle Lite – Upload a picture of yourself and scroll through a range of hairstyles. You’ll be able to get a good idea of what suits you and what doesn’t.
- L’Oréal Professionnel – Not an app as such, but a fantastic way to test out new locks on a photo of yourself. L’Oréal allow you to try a new hairstyle or colour and see how it will look in reality.
If you grew up in the ‘Friends’ era or have seen re-runs of the show, chances are you’ll have heard of ‘The Rachel’. During the show, one haircut in particular that Rachel had was so sought after, women’s hairdressers were inundated with requests to make them look just like this popular female character.
It’s a fact that our favourite celebrities, popular TV shows and singers have a massive influence on hairstyle trends and which are the most popular. With a plethora of stylists and hairdressers at their fingertips, our favourite stars always boast the very latest hairstyle trends and lead the way in popular haircuts. Why not take a look through a few celebrity’s Instagram accounts and check out their most recent hairstyles? You could find something that you love and stay ahead of the game in the process. Alternatively, this article from Fustany looks at some of the top trending haircuts in 2019, which could give you some great inspiration.
Compliment Your Features
As well as thinking about the best hairstyle for your face shape, there are many other features to consider. Things like your eye colour, height, neck length and build could all be complimented with the right hairstyle, so it’s worth thinking about all of these things too.
Thehairstyler.com have a fantastic questionnaire resulting in a hairstyle consultation based on your features. They also have a virtual hairstyler and popular hair trends to give you some inspiration.
Enjoy Your Luscious New Locks
It’s always important to have a chat with your stylist about any major hairstyle change, as they will work with you to make sure the finished result is exactly what you had hoped for. If you’re looking for hairdressers in Milton Keynes or the surrounding area, we’d love for you to pop in to see us, so we can discuss your ideas and create a brand new look to make you feel amazing.
Know anyone about to visit a hair salon? Why not share this article on social media to give them some great tips and inspiration.